I’ve received some great comments, questions, and kudos from my IA Summit and Big Design talks on Mobile Strategy, and I’ve heard from a good number of people that they’re using the presentation to make decisions about mobile strategy on their own (which is great!). I did put together a couple of quick worksheets that could help turn the presentation into a mini-workshop for anyone trying to make decisions about what to do in mobile.
The first is really just a follow-along worksheet, where you can take notes, and fill in the blanks:
The second is a sketch sheet, where you can start to vision out and do a little designing of your own. Sketch out a couple pages, and see if your interactions and flows make sense.
I added some things to remember while sketching:
- Simplify the design
- Design for touch – not mouse
- Note common mobile UI patterns
- Think about context – traveling vs. at home
- Design for speed – let them get to what they need quickly
- Rank functionality – you don’t need everything!
- Follow usage patterns – what are your users doing on mobile
- Remember location
- Don’t cram too much
- Note phone features – GPS, Camera, etc…
Hopefully this will help you or your company come to a decision on your mobile strategy.